Becoming a dentist is the best decision that I have ever made in my entire life. At exactly 8 a.m., I would go down the house to clean my clinic near the gate and make sure that all areas were clean and that my apparatuses were within reach. I practiced at a little town right outside the city so I did not have too many patients to require a secretary, but the income I generated from them was enough for me to live comfortably. By 9 a.m., my scheduled clients would come one by one, and then my day would begin.
After getting my dentistry license, I received offers from various cosmetics companies to work for them. We talked about a six-figure salary back then, even though I was still a newbie in the game. However, since I was a small-town boy, I turned them all down politely and built a clinic in front of the house that I inherited from my late grandparents.
What I loved the most about being a dentist in a little town was that I knew almost every patient by their first names. Some of them were my childhood friends and acquaintances; others were the elders who kept the community alive. Of course, most – if not all – my friends’ kids were my patients, too, so I made sure that my clinic would cater to their needs.
On a particular session, though, I saw a new woman in the waiting area. I thought, “She must be a walk-in patient. I have never seen her before.”
When I approached the woman, she said that she wanted to close the gap between her two front teeth because it kept her from getting many roles in the show business. As it turned out, she had been trying to break into the Hollywood scene for a while, but the woman only met crazy directors and producers who could not see her beautiful smile. She disclosed, “This had been making me depressed; that’s why I just want to get my teeth fixed once and for all.”
I honestly pitied the woman, considering the gap between her two front teeth actually added to her character. However, I respected her decision and scheduled her for a dental X-ray and other procedures before giving her braces. And in the few consultations that we had, the woman opened up to me more about her depression.
What are the four major causes of depression?
- Traumatic events
What is the primary cause of depression?
Mixing biological and environmental factors cause depression.
What is causing the rise in depression?
The rise in depression is due to various factors (e.g., abuse, trauma, etc.) that affect people negatively.
What is the highest cause of depression?
Long-term challenges in life are the highest cause of depression.
What are the four types of depression?
- Bipolar disorder
- Clinical depression
- Seasonal affective disorder
How do I get my mental health back on track?
- Take care of your body. A few things you can do, include sleeping, eating, and exercising well.
- Follow a specific routine. Although it feels fun to laze around, it does not help your mental health.
- Start journaling about your thoughts and emotions – especially the ones that you cannot talk about. This way, the paper can be an outlet for you.
- Avoid criticizing yourself. Some people do that before others can, but you should not do it at all.
- Try to reduce your stress level. Stress is one of the triggers for various disorders.
- Realize the warning signs of your mental disorder so that you can do something about it before you spiral downward.
- Cry if that will make you feel better. Let other people and cry with them when you are ready.
- Seek mental help. Aside from getting diagnosed, you may also try therapy or counseling.
What country has the lowest rate of depression?
Japan has the lowest depression rate. According to the Washington Post, most people who get depressed in that country have HIV/AIDS.
What job has the highest depression rate?
Transportation – private or public – has the highest depression rate.
What are the five signs of good mental health?
- You remain optimistic even when the odds are against your favor.
- You do not shy away from new issues immediately.
- You do not self-pity and blame others for your misfortune.
- You create achievable goals.
- Your self-esteem is often high.
What are the first signs of madness?
- You feel uneasy whenever you are with other people, even if you have known them for a long time.
- You cannot concentrate on anything.
- You no longer take care of yourself.
- You prefer to isolate yourself from everyone.
- You either feel nothing or too much about certain things.
How can stress affect mental health?
Stress affects mental health by amplifying the symptoms of a disorder. The longer you feel stressed, the worse your symptoms may become.
What causes mental breakdowns among students?
Mental disorders (diagnosed or not), inadequate coping mechanisms, and stress are some of the causes of students’ mental breakdowns.
What is poor mental health?
Poor mental health is a state in which your brain is not working well due to stress or psychological disorder.
What are the seven types of mental disorders?
- Psychotic disorders
- Mood disorders
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Personality disorders
- Other undiagnosed disorders
Is school the cause of depression?
Although it is challenging to say that school is the cause of depression among students, it is undoubtedly a significant factor contributing to mental disorders.
I wish I could tell you that I became a hero and introduced my new patient to talent agents who would not want her to change her teeth. However, this is the real world – that’s beyond my powers. Instead, all I could do was place the brackets behind her teeth to ensure that the casting directors would not see them during auditions.
Six months after our first consultation, the woman’s teeth improved significantly, and she informed me that she got a minor role at a TV show. Her depression decreased gradually, and the woman stopped feeling bad about needing to fix her teeth.